Thursday 12 May 2011

Birmingham, represent.

I played at the Queens Head in Kings Cross last night as part of the WeWriteLists night ‘The Folkroom’. Having a dedicated audience of around 6 I had to win over the rest of the bar without a PA system. Winning a talking bar over is something I am used to and not flummoxed by, however to do so without amplification required some stones. I ran through a quick 6 song set at what turned out to be an appropriate volume.

I had to leave immediately to go and see &U&I at the Old Blue Last. I was ‘that guy’ who plays and leaves when no one else has played yet, expectant that they would listen to me but not returning the favour. This was out of my hands; a late booking when I had other plans. I compromised, don’t hate me.

Currently I’m in a quiet patch with my music, due to work commitments and my other band (more to come on this very soon). Seeing &U&I came at a perfect time for me, as a kick up the arse to get things in gear. The guys have worked so hard since they were 14 to get where they are and despite being kicked in the nuts (if you don’t know what I mean just wiki ‘Blakfish’) they have clawed back to a position of musical worth in a very short space of time. Coming from the same background, scene and friendship groups it’s a great thing to be able to see a group that made it out alive and kicking. Hats off to them, fucking ferocious show. Nothing else needs to be said.

No comments: