Tuesday 21 December 2010

Billy Bragg and the Wonders of Fatherhood

They say you should never meet your heroes; something about being dissapointed. I just think they're heroes are shit to be honest. Johnny Marr, the Jarmans and Frank Turner were all great when I met them; I always felt Billy Bragg would be the same.

I've not long been a fan. Teenage years on heavy doses of Metallica meant I missed him and I reckon he would have been a huge influence on me. It was when I started to get comments from the over 40s at my shows saying I was similar that I considered a proper listen. A guy said to listen to Levi Stubbs' Tears and to this day it's one of my all time favourite songs. The same week a friend gave me Back to Basics. Never had I heard lyrics or guitar playing like it. Unmistakable.

A friend works the stage at Leamington Assembly and invited me up to see him. (Read the post I'm an idiot, listen to beans on toast to hear how I got the wrong dates). I finally got there on Thursday the 9th of December; the day of the student protests. Me and my friend sat in a wetherspoons and drank £1.60 pints of bitter watching the unbelievable heroics of our country's youth. (I feel my thoughts on this matter are much better left for another blog post).

The very quiet support band were ok but as always I wished I was playing. We drank Guinness and looked upon his trademark Burns guitar on stage. I was excited!

I spent two songs out front, 'The Digger' and 'To Have and To Have Not', which was apt considering the days events. I sang along with the mass of middle aged folk like the song had been a part of my youth as it had theirs. I saw the rest of the show side of stage and stood very close, looking on like a schoolkid seeing their favourite pop star! He talked between songs. This is only acceptable if you play solo. He spoke of his thoughts on the day; not preaching, just speaking the truth. Bragg for prime minister.

We learnt how Bragg Junior had been stealing his guitar strings and playing too loudly in the house. "I went to tell him to turn it down, but how on earth could I? He was playing this..." and dropped into Milkman Of Human Kindness. I pondered the day when I discuss Bragg, Turner, Dylan et al, with my son.

He did the classics and some new ones from a play he scored about the BNP taking Barking. It was inspiring to see one person hold a crowd like he did. Asking for requests he played Levi Stubbs Tears. That was me done, I could fucking die happy now.

Needless to say he finished with New England and in my drunken state (I was pissing his stage manager RIGHT off) I danced and sang! ...Done

In the backstage area (leather sofas, Tammy Winnette's trailer and a bar...amazing) we chatted with his tour manager. I promise I didn't shamefully speak about my own music... Billy Bragg walked in wearing a Christmassy jumper with an entourage of 5 older people who proceeded to follow him every which way he went. Eventually I got to talk to him, however briefly. If I'm honest I can't remember what the hell was said but it was worth every effort I'd made to get there.

I returned to London. The following Thursday and the day after my office Christmas party I decided to go alone to see him at The Troxy. You can read 'Going to Gigs Alone' for more thoughts on doing this. With a dreadful hangover I got to East London. Supporting was Grace Petrie; again I wished it was me but she was very good! Click for an amazing song on the student protests. I made a few friends that night and spent it with a father and son whom Billy Bragg had been a massive part of their life together. It was quite touching actually.

The gig was different. Slightly tailored stories and similar setlist (he played Levi Stubbs again) but overall it was a slightly quieter vibe; half full venue and a different crowd. Maybe I just wasn't as drunk or pumped up after watching the protests. Eitherway, the only reason I included this gig in the write up was because of the encore. He introduced his friend from Dagenham to play guitar with them and then, to everyone's amazement bought his son on stage. They all played A13, Trunk Road to the sea. His son, note perfect, was visibly excited and on the final chord he did the old 'shoot the crowd with guitar' sequence, threw his pick in the crowd and stood with both arms raised in the air... His Dad had his arms crossed and was shaking his head. It bought me back to the Father and Son thing. I look forward to having that kind of experience one day, but most of all I look forward to seeing my family this Christmas.






2 comments:

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

Thanks for the post, Neil! I'm trying to read it/watch video but my kid keeps bugging me to give her some lunch. Oh, and can she open just ONE present before Christmas. Ahhhh The Motherhood!

Neil Ward said...

Wow, maybe i'll hold off kids for a few more years!